The ACBA also maintains a library of books and DVDs on beekeeping, available to members. See the full library catalog.
Beginning Beekeeping Classes
Biofuel Oasis has a comprehensive program of beekeeping classes, directed specifically at backyard beekeepers with just a few hives. Our program will teach you how to keep your hive healthy and alive over many winters. It will also give you the tools and knowledge to keep your hive alive and, if it does die, to know the reason why.
Local Ecology and Agriculture Fremont (LEAF) is an all volunteer organization bringing people together to grow healthy pesticide free food and to learn about environmentally sustainable gardening and ecological practices. LEAF beekeeping classes are held at their C.R. Stone Garden location.
Pollinate Farm & Garden Supply is an urban homestead emporium located in the heart of Oakland. We provide equipment, supplies and knowhow for seed-to-table organic farming and gardening, food preserving, small-scale livestock raising and backyard beekeeping.
Pollinate Farm & Garden Supply
2727 Fruitvale Avenue
Oakland, CA 94601
Lauren Tackbary teaches a beginner beekeeping class every Saturday in Berkeley from 10am to 2pm. There are two hours of lecture and two hours of working in the hive. The class is 10 people max, so everyone has a chance to work in the hive. This is the perfect class for someone who wants to get a hive this year but doesn’t know where to start. The class is $55 but will do $45 for anyone who is an ACBA member. I provide all of the protective gear and guide the class through several hive inspections and what everyone should be looking for when they do an inspection.
Gardening for Bees
Plant nurseries that sell organic plants for pollinator health
- Annie’s Annuals & Perennials: 740 Market Ave., Richmond 510-215-3301
- Berkeley Horticultural Nursery: 1310 McGee Ave., Berkeley 510-526-4704
- BioFuel Oasis: 1441 Ashby Ave, Berkeley 510-665-5509
- Pollinate Farm & Garden Supply: 2727 Fruitvale Ave., Oakland 510-686-3493
- Spiral Gardens: 2850 Sacramento St., Berkeley 510-843-1307
- Westbrae Nursery: 1272 Gilman St., Berkeley 510-526-5517
Other Bay Area Beekeeper Meetings
- Delta Bee Club
Meets the first Tuesday of the month at 6:30pm at Havest Hall, 3800 Cornucopia Way, Modesto.
- Marin County Beekeepers Association
Meets the first Thursday of each month at 7:30pm at the Legion Log Cabin, 20 Veterans Pl, San Anselmo.
- Mount Diablo Beekeepers Association
Meets the second Thursday of the month at 7pm at the Pleasant Hill Community Center, 320 Civic Drive, Pleasant Hill.
- Sacramento Area Beekeepers Association
Meets the third Tuesday of each month at 7pm at UC Cooperative Extension, 4145 Branch Center Road, Sacramento.
- San Francisco Beekeepers Association,
Meets the second Wednesday of every month at 7pm at St. John Armenian Apostolic Church, 275 Olympia Way, San Francisco.
- The Beekeepers Guild of San Mateo County
Meets the first Thursday of every month at 7pm at the Trinity Presbyterian Church, 1106 Alameda de las Pulgas, San Carlos.
- Santa Clara Valley Beekeepers Guild
Meets the first Monday of each month at 7pm at Dwell Christian Church, 1292 Minnesota Ave, San Jose.
- Santa Cruz Beekeepers Guild
Meets the first Wednesday of every month at 7pm at El Rio Mobile Home Park, 2120 North Pacific Avenue, Santa Cruz.
- Sonoma County Beekeeper’s Guild
Meets the second Monday of each month at 7pm at Wine Country Honey, 2971 Guerneville RD, Santa Rosa.
- Alameda County Apiary Registration Form
- American Beekeeping Federation
- British Beekeepers Association
- California State Beekeepers Association
- CityBees – Helpful pages by Robert McKimmee in San Francisco
- Eastern Apiculture Society
- International Beekeeping Association
- National Honey Board Honey Locator
- Western Apicultural Society
- Elina Nino, PhD – California Extension Apiculturist, UC Davis
- Michael Bush – Midwestern “treatment-free” beekeeper, and frequent ACBA speaker
- Randy Oliver – Grass Valley beekeeper, writer for American Bee Journal, and frequent speaker for ACBA